Wednesday 23 October 2013

Taidhg Burke

Taidhg Burke

12 October 1981 – 22 October 2013

I was a lousy aunt to Taidhg…no point in denying it.  Soon after he was born my life took off in another direction and, by the time, I found my way back to his zone, he was long gone on a journey of his own.  But every time I came home he would come and see me when I visited his dad….usually because he was given the ‘Get your arse over here, your aunt’s here from all the way over there, and the least you can do is come and visit her’ sermon, much to my embarrassment, but Taidhg, being who he was, with the kind heart and generous spirit, would always turn up and do his duty with this aunt who had done sod-all to earn his loyalty.  It probably was more a testament of his love for his dad than any kind of feeling for me….but he never had any resentment whatsoever.  The last time I saw him was 2011 just after my Mum passed away, when his dad sent him up to bring his cousins and I down to Bantry.  He had been playing a gig the previous night and had no sleep, but still he drove the hour’s distance, collected us and brought us back down, and all with a gentle and good natured grin.  I didn’t deserve it but then Taidhg had a big heart… big enough to hold all the love in the world… and more.

My heart goes out to my brother, Taidhg’s mum, his two sisters and his niece and nephew and his step-mum, and all the family, and all his friends, and all the people whose lives he touched with his magical spirit.  I know that the gaping hole his absence has left, will be filled with his love, memories and laughter, because with Taidhg there was always laughter.  Personally I feel that my world was a better place for having had him in it.

My parting gift to him is to urge anyone, who has someone in their life whom they have been thinking of contacting, or getting in touch with after a long time…. to just do it….NOW.  Because you have no guarantee that they will still be around tomorrow, and regrets for the stupid things we’ve said and done are bad enough, but not nearly as bad as the regrets for those things we wanted so much to do and say…. but didn’t.

I am not in the least bit surprised that Taidhg donated his organs, and that 9 people, and their families and loved ones will have benefited from his boundless generosity, because….. that was Taidhg… the gift that keeps on giving. 


No comments:

Post a Comment