Friday 3 January 2014

The Algerian Irish historical connection

Baltimore, Co. Cork, Ireland
This is a subject which, although I have never actively researched it, it seems to have found me! 

Once on a holiday here, in Algeria, I remember writing a letter home to my parents, about the fact that I could never go down Bab el Oued with my sister-in-law without having to stop umpteen times to talk to someone she knew. I remember writing that it seemed as if my husband was related to all of Algeria and that maybe, if I looked hard enough I would probably find I was related to him myself! Shortly after that holiday I met an Irish lady who mentioned something about the Algerians invading Cork for a few hours once in the middle ages. It always hung around the back of my mind until one holiday home my daughter, Sarah, bought a book – “A book of Irish Insults”. I know, I know – says a lot about her character doesn’t it!!! Says a lot about the Irish too that they have a whole book devoted to the subject of insults – but…… it’s a very small book! Anyway in it is a short poem where someone called James Clarence Mangan  who obviously did not like the English, used some Arabic words among others, to say so. Now, I apologise to all of my English friends in advance for any insult, and absolve myself of any responsibility as it was written a ‘little’ before my time! It is dated 1837 and was addressed to “the Ingleezee Khafir” (The English non-believer) and… well, let’s just say, it was none too complimentary! When I read it I remembered what that Irish lady  had said and thought there must be something in it. 
Baltimore, Co. Cork, Ireland
Time passed and then one day one of my Irish friends asked me to look up the origins of the Claddagh ring on the Internet. The design of the ring is in the form of two hands holding a heart with a crown above and it is sometimes called a friendship ring or an Irish wedding ring: 

The legends around the design itself seemed very airy-fairy and numerous but it was the story of the man who designed it that really caught my interest. He was an Irish man from Galway on the West coast of Ireland. His name was Richard Joyce and while he was travelling by sea his boat was hijacked by pirates and he was sold into slavery – guess where? Yep, Algiers! He was sold to a goldsmith who taught him his trade. In 1689, the King of England, King William III, demanded his return and his freedom was granted. The goldsmith was so happy with him that he offered him his daughter in marriage and half of his wealth if he stayed. But Richard Joyce declined his offer and returned to Galway where he designed…… the Claddagh ring! 
The Algiers Inn, Baltimore, Co. Cork, Ireland
Then one day my sister rang me from Ireland, to say that she had been listening to her local radio station and they mentioned a book that someone had written about when the Algerians had invaded Baltimore in Cork, It’s entitled “The Stolen Village, Baltimore and the Barbary Pirates” by Des Ekin and reads “In June 1631 pirates from Algiers and armed troops of the Turkish Ottoman Empire, led by the notorious pirate captain Morat Rais, stormed ashore at the little harbour village of Baltimore in West Cork. They captured almost all the villagers and bore them away to a life of slavery in North Africa….[I think I know how they felt!] Only two of them ever saw Ireland again.” My sister sent it to me and it is a fascinating read. 
The Algiers Inn, Baltimore, Co. Cork, Ireland
There is a place here in Algiers that I often see on the signs on the motorway called Bir Morad Rais and I will never look at it again the same! Whenever I drive down the road that one of my friends lives on, I often see boys outside, who appear to be from the same family,  with red hair and freckled faces and they look so Irish! In 2007 we were able to visit the town of Baltimore and my husband gleefully remarked that if anyone asked him what he was doing there.... he would just say he was 'bringing one back'!

Baltimore, Co. Cork, Ireland
So.... maybe..... I AM related to my husband after all – which means...... I am related to his family! Ermm….. Anyone know of a good English speaking psychotherapist in the Algiers region........for long term therapy????
Baltimore, Co. Cork, Ireland





No comments:

Post a Comment